Car insurance claim process explained in simple steps
1. CAR INSURANCE CLAIM PROCESS EXPLAINED IN SIMPLE STEPS
2. CRASH, BOOM, BANG!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Your Car is damaged…. Do you have a car insurance policy? But don’t know how to file a car insurance claim? Then here we will tell you how you can go about it.
3. Car Insurance Claim for Comprehensive Policy A comprehensive car insurance policy, also known as own damage policy covers damages caused by you to your car as well as third party liability. Follow these 4 simple steps for making comprehensive car insurance claim:
4. • Inform the insurance company. • Intimate the insurance company about the damages/ accident. • Insurers have a toll-free number that you can call on to inform them • Note: Companies have timelines under which you’re required to inform them about the accident under stipulated hours Step 1: INFORM THE INSURANCE COMPANY
5. • Lodge an FIR because without it your insurance company won’t settle your claims. • For cases like theft, car-breaking, accident, you’re required to file an FIR. STEP 2: REPORT TO THE COPS
6. STEP 3: EVALUATE THE STATUS OF DAMAGE • Once you have intimidated your insurer about the damages caused, a meeting with the representative will be scheduled for the inspection of your car. • You will be guided to the nearest network garage for repairs of the car. • Mostly, the survey of the car is carried out within 1-2 days after claim
7. STEP 4: CLAIM SETTLEMENT • After the survey is carried out, the insurer will send you and the garage an approval for the estimated repair costs. • Also, for every car insurance claim, certain repair costs have to be settled from your own pocket.
8. Car Insurance Claim for Third Party A comprehensive car insurance policy, also known as own damage policy covers damages caused by you to your car as well as third party liability.
9. STEP 1: LODGE AN FIR • For claiming under third party cover, you or the aggrieved party is required to file an FIR in the nearby area of the accident spot. • Keep a copy of the FIR with you
10. STEP 2: SHARE POLICY DOCUMENTS • You are required to share your policy documents with the third party to let them file a claim on your behalf.
11. STEP 3: CLAIMING IN MOTOR TRIBUNAL • As per the Motor Vehicle Act 1988, all the claims are to be settled under the Motor Accident Claims Tribunal. • The claim has to be filed by the third-party
13. STEP 1: INTIMATE YOUR INSURANCE COMPANY AND POLICE On finding out that your car has been stolen, the first thing you do is file an FIR at the local police station. And then, you inform your insurance company about the loss.
14. DOCUMENTS THAT YOU NEED TO SUBMIT WHILE FILING THE CLAIM • Car’s registration certificate (RC). • Copy of the FIR. • Copy of your driving license. • Also, the first 2 pages of your policy document and a letter addressed to the RTO. • The policy department then issues a ‘Non traceable report’ after which you are required to transfer the RC of your car in the name of the insurance company. • The claim for stolen car is settled on the submission of all the documents to the insurance company.
15. REASONS FOR CAR INSURANCE CLAIM REJECTION • Having no valid driving license • Driving under the influence of drugs and alcohol • Consequential damages • Delay in informing your insurer • Installation of unregistered CNG kit • Repairing car without informing your insurer
16. THINGS TO REMEMBER FOR HASSLE FREE CLAIM SETTLEMENT PROCESS • Always carry a copy of your insurance papers with you • Never leave your car unlocked • Follow the traffic rules and do not drink and drive • Avoid filing claim for minor scratches and dents • Always read the exclusions of your policy • Always read the policy documents carefully to avoid claim rejection. • Recommended Read: Make Car Insurance Claim with these 4 Simple Steps