BEFORE A HURRICANE
- Prepare an emergency kit and make a family communications plan.
- Know your surroundings, the elevation level of your property, and whether the land is prone to flood. Also, identify levees and dams that may pose a hazard.
- Learn evacuation routes.
- If in a high-rise building, be prepared to take shelter on or below the 10th floor.
OR CLICK THE LINKS LOCATED IN THE MAP FOR LIVE UPDATES
SECURE YOUR PROPERTY
- Cover all of your home’s windows. Permanent storm shutters offer the best protection for windows but 5/8” marine plywood, cut to fit and ready to install will provide protection.
- Install straps to fasten your roof to the framing structure.
- Keep trees and shrubs around your home manicured.
- Clean rain gutters and downspouts of debris.
- Reinforce garage doors to avoid structural damage from wind.
- Plan storage for outdoor furniture, decorations, garbage cans, etc.
- Pre-determine how to secure any boats.
- Install a generator.
- Consider building a safe room.